Facebook Posts to My Husband...

Facebook Posts to My Husband...

Tuesday, May 5, 2015

My Rock, My Wild and Beautiful Tree

Two years...those small words mean nothing to me, other than to count how long I have been crawling, how long I have been lost, how long I have lived inside pain and darkness.  How long I have been fighting without you.  They mean nothing because it still feels like yesterday.  

It is an odd experience, you know...where you poor people died and yet were freed.  Where I and those who loved you were not.  I walk this earth with that day like a ball and chain.  I can not run, I can not hide.  I can only grow accustomed.  But free...never.

I keep a jar on the windowsill, inside are the moments I feel joy.  It hits me every now and again that I have not unscrewed the lid in a while so I make stuff up, I want there to be many moments.  I need there to be many moments.

I miss you both.

Evelyn...I miss your voice, your laugh, your advice.  I miss your face.  I miss your friendship and our talks.  The private moments between just you and me sharing our truths. I miss your crazy.  God how I miss you Eve.  I visit the neck from time to time, I sneak in and then sneak out.  I sit where we sat and I remember the things you told me, the things we said that day.  I remember it all, and I cry.  I cry for you, I cry for me, I cry for your beautiful boy and all the friends you left behind. I cry for your life cut short and your joy being extinguished.  I shake my head then I stand and walk away. I love you sister, my wild and beautiful tree.

My David...The hole inside me grows bigger and I fear that soon I will just collapse inward, never to look out and around again. It scares me huge and I fight it big. every. single. day.  I miss the scent of you. I miss your oh so handsome face. I miss your hands and their touch. I miss your love. I miss being in love. I miss taking care of you. I miss your smile.  I miss your laugh and I miss your voice.  As I write this I feel a little more of me dying. I have yet to reach a place of peace. I have yet to reach life. What I am doing can not be called living, not yet, but I hope some day. I'm working at getting my body stronger then maybe my head will follow.  I love you my sweet man, my rock.  I just so love you.

And still I shake my head in wonder of it all.

When great trees fall,
rocks on distant hills shudder,
lions hunker down
in tall grasses,
and even elephants
lumber after safety.


When great trees fall
in forests,
small things recoil into silence,
their senses
eroded beyond fear.


When great souls die,
the air around us becomes
light, rare, sterile.
We breathe, briefly.
Our eyes, briefly,
see with
a hurtful clarity.
Our memory, suddenly sharpened,
examines,
gnaws on kind words
unsaid,
promised walks
never taken.


Great souls die and
our reality, bound to
them, takes leave of us.
Our souls,
dependent upon their
nurture,
now shrink, wizened.
Our minds, formed
and informed by their
radiance,
fall away.
We are not so much maddened
as reduced to the unutterable ignorance
of dark, cold
caves.


And when great souls die,
after a period peace blooms,
slowly and always
irregularly.  Spaces fill
with a kind of
soothing electric vibration.
Our senses, restored, never
to be the same, whisper to us.
They existed.  They existed.
We can be.  Be and be
better.  For they existed.
- Maya Angelou



2 comments:

  1. I wish my computer was like my iPhone were I could just talk and it would type.

    I have read your last two posts several times and wanted to respond but I have been pushing myself lately and just haven't had the wherewithal and energy to do it. But tonight, tonight I feel drawn to saying how your words reach into the depths of this sorrow we are enduring and how I know I will never escape what I am feeling and it is getting worse. I can't live without my husband Kristen. I have plumbed my soul as far as I can to find the strength to want to continue and I realize this is a bottomless pit. There is no floor to this loss. I have yet to go so far into the darkness that I am totally lost but I am as you say "fighting it big" and "I feel a little bit more of me dying". I guess I thought by this time I would be dead or I would be a bit better. Two years four months and two days seems like an awfully long time to be in such excruciating emotional pain with no end in sight. I cant get past a day without a million thoughts of him. Nothing breaks the rhythm of his essence inside of me. I really don't know what to do with this anymore. I can write, I can read, I can think, I can do, I can eat but none of it makes any sense anymore. I even woke up today thinkling it was Saturday and it wasn't until about 2 in the afternoon when someone mentioned it in conversation I realized it was Friday. I have never gone that long functioning as though it was a completely different day. Never.

    Tonight, as I did last night, I broke into a million pieces and cried as though I had never wept before. I cant find him and I have to find him. It's not a literal find and its' not an in my mind find because he resides there. It is "have to find him" that I cannot explain.

    I am attempting to live but it has become almost more than I can bear. I am doing the kinds of things I am good at and used to bring me joy and money and yet I find I am only doing them because I am forced to to live. This is unsustainable. There are not enough pills in the world or enough counselors or enough of anything to bring him into my world in any way shape or form.

    No need to get worried or think there is anything that will help. Been doing all that is possible and it simply is not enough. I'll keep trying but this is a very destructive time. How did he ever think I would be able to live without him?

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's all just so heartbreaking...

    If I could hug you I would. I don't like to think of anyone being in so much pain, feeling so alone. It hurts my heart.

    You are right, there isn't enough of ANYTHING that can right this wrong for us. All we can do is get up each day and do what we can do the best we can do it. If you cry you cry, if you laugh you laugh, if you can do nothing but sit and look out the window all day that that will just have to be good enough. There, for me, is no correct way of climbing this mountain. I just know I have to try, if not today, then tomorrow, or the next day or the next. A complete and total give up just doesn't seem doable either. What a strange juxtaposition.

    ..and you are right, there is no pill in the world that can bring them back and that is just a crying shame.

    Keep on keeping on Mrs. C, it's all we can do, and soon enough you will find your man again.

    Peace and love and sisterhood to you.

    ReplyDelete